The newest confirmed case of COVID-19 in Victoria is a Melbourne school teacher.
Al-Taqwa College in Truganina will close and all staff and students will need to get tested and isolate until further notice, chief health officer Brett Sutton said in a statement on Wednesday afternoon.
More than 100 COVID-19 infections were linked to the school during the state's second wave of infections last year.
Public health officials are investigating how the latest case acquired the virus and are urgently testing household contacts.
The teacher is isolating and being interviewed.
The Health Department will post exposure sites, when confirmed, at www.coronavirus.vic.gov.au/exposure-sites.
In his statement, Mr Sutton said the department and Western Public Health Unit would support the school community.
He said transmission risks at the school were being assessed.
The department urged anyone with any COVID-19 symptoms whatsoever to get tested.
It comes as public health authorities continue to clear the remaining primary close contacts from Victoria's most recent Delta outbreak.
A total of 407 people were cleared on Tuesday as primary close contacts, leaving fewer than 3000 primary close contacts in isolation.
Victoria has recorded a new coronavirus case after initially revelling in a day of no infections.
The Health Department on Wednesday afternoon said it was investigating a confirmed case and would provide more information shortly.
It comes a day after new federal government data showed Bendigo was leading the nation in the race to receive a vaccination.
More than 50 per cent of eligible residents aged 15 and over have received their first dose of the vaccine.
More than 25 per cent of eligible people are fully vaccinated.
More coronavirus news, click here
Earlier on Wednesday, authorities had warned Victorians will not get an early rules reprieve despite the state notching its first COVID-19 clean sheet since the fifth lockdown.
COVID-19 commander Jeroen Weimar said it was cause for quiet celebration and satisfaction.
"It's a symbolic marking of a point where there's no more COVID cases," he told reporters.
"It means we're on track with the strategy that we set three or four weeks ago."
But it has not inspired health officials to bring forward a review on restrictions and the current batch will remain in place until August 10.
"We still have active cases in our community right here that we know about ... we've still got just under 3000 primary close contacts ... and we still have ongoing risks in the rest of the eastern seaboard," Mr Weinmar said.
Meanwhile, NSW recorded 233 new locally acquired cases in the 24 hours to 8pm on Tuesday, with 47 infectious in the community.
Two people have also died, a man in his 20s and a woman in her 80s.
Nine Victorians are in hospital with COVID-19, with two in intensive care on ventilators. None of the nine were fully vaccinated.
Now, residents in the bubble can only cross the Murray River without a permit for six reasons: for necessary goods and services including for medical care and getting tested; care and compassionate reasons; paid or voluntary work; education; getting a COVID-19 vaccination; and for sport and exercise.
Mr Weimar said it was only a week ago that officials were caught off guard by an unlinked case of a Moonee Valley testing site traffic controller.
It remains unclear how the man caught the virus, but Mr Weimar said a review into the source of his infection would ramp up on Wednesday afternoon.
"There's a strong line of investigation around some movements that he had at work," he said.
Active cases are continuing to fall in Victoria, down from 124 on Tuesday to 99. The number of exposure sites has also fallen to 33 after soaring to over 400 at the peak of the outbreak.
More than 30,000 test results were received on Tuesday, while about 17,600 vaccine doses were administered at state-run sites.
- with AAP
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can access our trusted content: