The person who died from COVID-19 complications was a woman aged in her 70s, the state government confirmed.
Premier Daniel Andrews said the woman was diagnosed with the virus in late July and was declared "recovered' by September.
But Mr Andrews said it was believed that coronavirus-induced damage to the lungs was a factor in the woman's death.
He extended his sympathies to her family and friends.
"Hopefully they take some small comfort from knowing they are in our thoughts and prayers," Mr Andrews said.
Meanwhile, Mr Andrews has announced that the Department of Health and Human Services will be split.
A separate Department of Health will be in operation from February 1, while a new Department of Families, Fairness and Housing will also be established.
"This new structure will mean a greater focus on our recovery, while we remain vigilant in our fight against coronavirus," Mr Andrews said.
"The appointments of Sandy Pitcher and Euan Wallace will ensure there is strong leadership at this critical time."
"The Government's significant reform agenda in housing, child protection and family violence mean this is the right time to provide a dedicated focus to that work."
"Our diverse communities are part of what makes Victoria so strong and ensuring they have direct connections to services and strong advocacy inside government is vital."
The government has also announced an overhaul of its much-criticised hotel quarantine system.
ONE person in Victoria has died from complications brought on by COVID-19.
The person had previously been cleared of coronavirus but died from complications brought on by the original diagnosis, the Department of Health and Human Services confirmed.
No new COVID-19 cases were detected on Sunday and there remain no active infections in Victoria, the department says.
A total of 5030 Victorians were tested for coronavirus on Sunday, down from 5905 registered the day before.
There are no active or new COVID-19 cases, making it 31 days in a row.
The person who died, a woman in her 70s, was part of a small group of cases diagnosed in late July.
The department said the woman was cleared as an active case in late September.
The case was a woman in her 70s who was part of a small group of cases diagnosed in late July. She was cleared as an active case in late Sept. In line w/ the national case definition, this is a COVID-related death as no recovery occurred from time of infection. Our condolences.— VicGovDHHS (@VicGovDHHS) November 29, 2020
In South Australia, authorities are urging thousands of people to get tested after a major quarantine breach.
A man who should have been in quarantine instead visited a number of shops and food joints on Sunday.
It prompted health authorities to warn of significant fines for COVID-19 isolation breaches.
The man should have been in isolation for 14 days after being deemed a casual contact in an outbreak at the Flinders University Sturt Campus's Intensive English Language Institute.
Despite the breach, South Australia is continuing with plans to ease restrictions to allow gatherings of up to 150 people from Tuesday, with the state's chief health officer urging event organisers to stay familiar with at-risk locations and tell guests to stay at home if they have not returned negative tests.
The state recorded no new COVID-19 cases on Sunday.
- With AAP
We have removed our paywall from this story about the coronavirus. This is a rapidly changing situation and we want to make sure our readers are as informed as possible. If you would like to support our journalists, subscribe here.