FINAL preparations have been made for tonight's fireworks display in Bendigo as some question whether it and similar events should go ahead.
Some Australians have asked whether the displays are ill-timed and show a lack of respect for people losing homes and lives at fire-grounds across the continent.
They include Bendigo resident Gail McDonald, who is also concerned about the increased risk of blazes sparked by fireworks.
"I don't think they should be done anywhere tonight. I think it's wrong," she said.
An online petition urging states to say "no" to New Year's Eve fireworks displays has so far amassed 281,052 signatures.
The change.org petition calls for money saved from axing fireworks displays to be spent on farmers, firefighters and animal carers.
"Shame on you Australians shooting more smoke up in the air!" the petition's organiser wrote in an update yesterday.
"Reporters on TV excitingly announce on the fireworks in Brisbane, Sydney & MELBOURNE who's going to have the biggest and best display."
Wagga Wagga City Council is among those to have cancelling fireworks displays, though its decision was based on extreme weather conditions hitting the region, it said in a Facebook post.
The City of Sydney is pressing ahead with its fireworks display despite "very poor" air quality from nearby fires.
"If you're sensitive to smoke or have a pre-existing condition that could be made worse, please delay coming into the city early," the city tweeted about two hours ago.
Only a total fire ban day would result in the City of Greater Bendigo cancelling its display, acting manager of tourism and major events Jemma Docherty said yesterday.
"It's always part of the consideration but obviously the weather forecast at this point in time is that we're getting a cool change (Monday) afternoon, so should be a good day tomorrow for fireworks," she said.
A family display will run for five minutes at 9.15pm and a long display will ring in the new year from midnight.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.