A CENTRAL Victorian man accused of violently assaulting his pregnant partner in front of their young daughter has been released on bail.
The 28-year-old man made the application in the Bendigo Magistrates' Court on Tuesday after he was charged with offences including reckless conduct endangering serious injury and contravening a family violence intervention order.
The court heard the man had been in a relationship with the woman for about three years. They have a young daughter together and the woman was 12 weeks' pregnant.
Read other news: Man admits to sending ex-partner abusive messages
On October 12 last year, a family violence intervention order was issued with the woman listed as the protected person. Under the order, the man was not allowed to commit family violence or damage property.
Police alleged the man was intoxicated at the woman's home on New Year's Day when he began questioning her about cheating allegations.
The woman refused to respond and instead took their daughter to a bedroom so she could sleep. The court heard the man followed them into the bedroom.
When the woman asked him to leave, he allegedly grabbed her by the hair and banged his head against her head.
The alleged incident woke up the child and she started crying.
The man allegedly threw a baby bottle at his pregnant partner before grabbing her by the throat, pinning her to the bed, and yelling at her.
Police alleged the man hit the woman in the stomach after she yelled at him to get off of her.
The man allegedly grabbed the woman again by the throat and pushed her into a door, before punching a hole in a wardrobe and leaving the room.
The court heard the man taunted the woman that she would not contact the police but she did call 000.
The man was arrested and interviewed. He admitted to pushing the woman against the door but said he did it in retaliation to her slapping him.
The court heard the woman and her child had since fled interstate, but police were still concerned the man would reoffend.
Defence lawyer Cathryn Shiels told the court the man had no prior convictions.
Ms Shiels said the 28-year-old was not opposed to a full intervention order, with a condition that he did not contact or go near the woman.
The defence lawyer said the man had mental health issues but he had stable accommodation and the support of his family.
Read more court: Man admits to trespassing at ex-partner's home, sentenced to jail
Magistrate Patrick Southey said the allegations were "shocking and alarming", with a number of aggravating features including the woman's pregnancy.
But Mr Southey said given the man had no prior convictions, there was a strong chance he could avoid any jail time.
The magistrate said with the woman living interstate and a full intervention order in place, any risk could be ameliorated.
Mr Southey granted the 28-year-old bail, with conditions that he does not leave the state, breach the intervention order, or consume alcohol.
The man is due to appear in the Maryborough Magistrates' Court in February.
If you or someone you know is experiencing family violence, the Centre for Non-Violence is available on 1800 884 292. Safe Steps is a 24-hour statewide crisis line, available on 1800 015 188.
If you or someone else is in danger, call 000.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can access our trusted content:
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.