A BENDIGO man who allegedly threatened to burn down his parents' home has been refused bail.
The 35-year-old man made the application in the Bendigo Magistrates' Court last week after he was charged with offences including making threats to kill and making threats to inflict serious injury.
The court heard a family violence safety notice was issued on November 19 this year, with the man's father listed as the protected person.
Read more court: No jail time for man who assaulted his mother
Under the order, the 35-year-old was not allowed to contact his father or commit any family violence. There was also a condition that the man was not allowed to contact witnesses for the prosecution.
Police alleged the man's mother was a prosecution witness.
The court heard soon after the order was served to the man, the protected person received 13 calls from a no-caller ID number while the woman received 15 calls.
The next day, the man allegedly called his parents again and threatened to "smash" the house.
Police alleged the 35-year-old called his mother and father a further 12 times that day, before calling them dozens of more times between November 21 and November 26.
The father then allegedly received two emails from the accused with lines like "I'm coming for you", "you should be petrified", and "I've got the rest of my life to get you".
On November 27, police alleged the man sent a further two emails, saying "time is going to make the eventual encounter more and more ruthless".
The accused's parents moved out of their home in fear so police went to the property later that day to try and find the accused.
Read more court: Man denied bail after alleged robbery, assault in Bendigo
The court heard the house was damaged and a jerry can was left on the roof of the property.
The accused was arrested at his bail address on November 27. He made some admissions during his record of police interview.
The man's bail application began earlier this month but was adjourned so a police informant could give evidence.
But when the case returned to court last week, the informant was still unavailable.
Defence lawyer Louise Conwell said that was unfair to her client as there were still issues that needed to be cross-examined.
Ms Conwell said the defence were still disputing that the man's mother was a prosecution witness.
The defence lawyer submitted that the man should be bailed because he had a stable address away from his parents and he had been deemed suitable for the Court Integrated Services Program.
Ms Conwell said the man had previously completed a period of parole so he was capable of not reoffending when he had the supports in place.
The defence lawyer also noted that as the charges were still in dispute, there could be some delay to the court proceedings.
But prosecutor Senior Constable Abdoullah Fakhouri said the man was still an unacceptable risk of reoffending.
Senior Constable Fakhouri said the man also breached a number of community correction orders in the past.
Magistrate Trieu Huynh said he agreed that the defence had been somewhat disadvantaged because the informant was not present to give evidence.
But Mr Huynh said he needed to look at the prosecution's case as a whole, which detailed serious family violence offending.
The magistrate said the man had lengthy and relevant priors, and the CISP report noted a lot of the support programs would not be available for some weeks.
Mr Huynh said as a result, the risk was unacceptable and the man should not be released on bail.
The man was remanded in custody. He is due to return to the Bendigo Magistrates' Court next month.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can access our trusted content:
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.