A MAN accused of breaking into a Bendigo home and assaulting three people has been released on bail.
North Bendigo man Jeremy Gordon, 45, made the application in the Bendigo Magistrates' Court on Tuesday after he was charged with offences including aggravated burglary.
The court heard on Monday evening, one of the alleged victims returned home to see Mr Gordon standing in a nearby front garden.
After a brief verbal argument, the man ran into his house and locked the door.
Police alleged Mr Gordon followed, kicking at the front door before punching through a window near where the man was standing.
Mr Gordon allegedly grabbed the man's arm through the broken window and punched him.
The court heard a woman who was inside the house came to the man's aid, hitting Mr Gordon with her phone.
Police alleged Mr Gordon punched the woman, causing her to bleed.
A second woman who was staying in a backyard bungalow came to the front yard and saw Mr Gordon allegedly assaulting the two people.
Mr Gordon allegedly ran towards the woman, grabbed her, and threw her onto the ground.
Police alleged the 45-year-old punched the woman to the head about eight times before spitting his blood in her direction.
The court heard the man grabbed Mr Gordon in a chokehold and the woman hit him, before the three alleged victims returned to their house and called police.
Read more court: Family violence offender pleads guilty to breaching order
Officers arrested Mr Gordon about an hour later. He was covered in blood and had a cut to his arm so he was taken to hospital for treatment before he was remanded in custody.
Detective Senior Constable Ashley Sutton told the court Mr Gordon could not recall the incident as he had consumed half a bottle of rum that day.
Senior Detective Sutton said Mr Gordon lived in the same street as the victims so police were concerned about their safety.
Defence lawyer Eleanor Miller told the court Mr Gordon had been living at his home for some time without any incidents.
Ms Miller said her client was also consenting to an intervention order so the alleged victims would have that added protection.
The defence lawyer said Mr Gordon had full-time work and the excessive drinking was unusual for him.
After Magistrate Russell Kelly raised some concerns about Mr Gordon's bail address, Ms Miller said the 45-year-old would be able to stay at a motel before finding a different address.
Mr Kelly said he would grant Mr Gordon bail, with conditions that he does not consume alcohol, does not contact witnesses, and he abides by the intervention order.
Mr Gordon is due to return to the Bendigo Magistrates' Court in March.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can access our trusted content:
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.