A BENDIGO man allegedly choked his former partner after taking their children from childcare without her knowledge, a court has heard.
The 31-year-old man applied for bail in the Bendigo Magistrates' Court on Wednesday after he was charged with offences including intentionally causing injury.
Magistrate Megan Aumair said the allegations were "very disturbing", but she would adjourn the application to next week to see if the police informant could provide some additional evidence.
The court heard the man had been in a relationship with his partner for about four years before they separated a few weeks ago. The couple have two children together.
On Tuesday afternoon, the woman went to the man's Bendigo property to collect her children after the man allegedly collected them from childcare with her knowledge.
Police alleged a verbal argument broke out between the pair and the man told her to leave.
The man allegedly pushed her three times and headbutted the woman, before she headbutted him back.
The court heard the man allegedly held the woman by the neck as he pushed her away.
Police alleged the man also strangled the woman and headbutted her again.
The court heard most of the alleged incident was captured on CCTV footage.
The man was arrested and brought to the Bendigo Police Station for questioning. He told police he did push the alleged victim but denied choking her.
Read other news: Man jailed for drug trafficking, weapons offences in Bendigo
The court heard the man also told police he would not follow any conditions of a family violence intervention order.
The alleged victim also made a statement to police, telling officers the man had threatened to hurt her and said he would harm himself if she did not stay in a relationship with him.
Defence lawyer Luke Docherty told the court the CCTV footage did not show the alleged choking incident.
Mr Docherty said the 31-year-old's mental health had deteriorated and he relapsed into drug use after the separation with his partner.
The defence lawyer submitted the man should be granted bail because he was contesting the charges so there could be a significant delay in the court proceedings.
But Magistrate Megan Aumair said the allegations showed "controlling, manipulative" behaviour.
"It's a very disturbing narrative with all of the red flags we're told to look out for," Ms Aumair said.
The magistrate said it was not unreasonable for the alleged victim to have been frantic as she tried to get her children back.
Ms Aumair said she would adjourn the bail application to next week to see if the police informant could find the missing CCTV footage.
The man was remanded in custody ahead of his next court appearance.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can access our trusted content: