THREE quarters of regional Victorian coronavirus cases are people under the age of 40, the state's COVID commander says.
Jeroen Weimar told reporters on Saturday that the state's cases and hospitalisation rates were following a "stable trend" but there had been a "significant increase" in regional Victorian cases.
Mr Weimar said three quarters of cases in the region were people under 40 years old, while 38 per cent of the total cases were children under the age of 19.
Read other news: Bendigo council coffers are still taking COVID-19 hits
"I call out to the young Victorians among us that you are particularly vulnerable at this point in time," he said.
"Take every care to make sure you don't become one of those statistics."
Mr Weimar said while younger people were overrepresented in the COVID-19 case numbers, that was not reflected in the hospitalisation rates.
"We do have some young people in hospital but we don't have huge numbers," he said. "Obviously every infectious disease is a concern, particularly when we see it coming from a school environment.
"What I would urge parents to do is... if your kids are being symptomatic, please get them tested."
On Saturday, there were 707 people in hospital with 144 people receiving intensive care and 90 people on ventilators.
Of those people in hospital, 86 per cent were not vaccinated, while 93 per cent of people receiving intensive care were not fully vaccinated.
VICTORIA has recorded 1750 new COVID-19 cases as residents prepare to enjoy their first weekend in the state's vaccinated economy.
The new cases take the state's active coronavirus case tally to 23,164.
Sadly, another nine people have died.
Friday also saw 39,126 vaccinations administered and 72,858 test results received.
In Greater Bendigo, there were 31 new cases reported on Friday.
Bendigo Health is caring for 17 COVID-19 cases, with four people receiving intensive care.
A number of new tier one exposure sites were also listed Greater Bendigo late on Friday night, including another gym and hairdressing salon.
Bendigo businesses and residents are eager to welcome Victoria's vaccinated economy after months of lockdowns and restrictions.
Hospitality businesses can now welcome up to 130 fully vaccinated patrons (30 inside, 100 outside).
Hustler co-owner Nick Horgan said customers should already be used to having to check-in and show identification. The added requirement will be having to provide their vaccination certificate.
"For people to be shocked about it this late in the game, you have to ask what they have been doing," he said.
"We want to play the game as best we can, look after ourselves, staff and the venue - that's why we decided 56 is our limit."
"The Department of Health has contacted a Bendigo Community Health Services staff member today to let them know a confirmed COVID-19 case attended our Central site at 9.30am on Wednesday, October 20," the organisation said on Facebook.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can access our trusted content: