A MAN accused of sexually assaulting his former partner in her home has been granted bail.
The 49-year-old man appeared in the Bendigo Magistrates' Court last week after he was charged with sexual assault and stalking offences.
The court heard in the early hours of February 14 this year, the man's former partner returned to her home after she had been out with a male friend.
The accused had left a Valentine's Day gift at her door so she sent a text message to say thank you.
A short time later, the man arrived at the woman's house and rang the doorbell. She did not answer the door initially but he repeatedly sent her messages.
The court heard the woman opened the door and the man entered, walking to her bedroom with her following.
When asked, the woman told the man she had been out with a male friend and the accused became jealous and angry.
The court heard the man allegedly became enraged and asked the woman if she had slept with the male friend.
Police alleged the man pushed the woman onto the bed and ripped her dressing gown off, before pulling her nightgown down and sexually assaulting her.
The court heard during the alleged assault, the woman was crying as she repeatedly told the man to stop and tried to push him away.
After some time, the man began to apologise and hug the woman before leaving the property.
The court heard about 2.15am, the man allegedly sent the woman several lengthy text messages.
Read more court:
Police alleged the man told the woman he was "not forcing" himself onto her and that he "thought she liked it rough".
The messages also said the man thought "angry sex" would help the woman feel better.
The court heard on February 22 the woman blocked the man from contacting her via text message, but he allegedly sent her a Facebook message asking her to help him.
The woman contacted a mental health support service for the man before going to make a statement to the police the next day.
Officers attended the man's property on the evening of February 23 and interviewed him in relation to the allegations.
He told police there had been "something in her eye that she wanted sex".
Defence lawyer Luke Docherty told the court the man was contesting the charges because he believed the woman was giving consent during the alleged assault.
Mr Docherty said the defence would be relying on evidence of the couple's prior sexual history.
Prosecutor Senior Constable Martin Friend told the court the thread of text messages following the alleged assault supported the prosecution's case.
The case was adjourned to a contest hearing in October, with the alleged victim called to give evidence.
The accused also applied for bail on the grounds of the delay between the proceedings and his limited prior criminal history.
Magistrate Russell Kelly granted bail on the conditions he stayed at an address outside of Bendigo and complied with an intervention order issued to protect the alleged victim.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can access our trusted content: