Brennan Park phone tower fight looms

By Clare Quirk
Updated November 7 2012 - 6:24am, first published October 2 2011 - 9:55am
INCENSED: Residents take a stand against the installation of the phone tower in Brennan Park. Picture: Matt Kimpton
INCENSED: Residents take a stand against the installation of the phone tower in Brennan Park. Picture: Matt Kimpton

KENNINGTON residents say they will do whatever it takes to fight a proposed 22-metre Telstra mobile-phone tower in Brennan Park.Residents gathered yesterday and said 20 households received notice of the proposal last week.“We were notified at the start of the school holidays and we know that is a tactic that is used,” Kennington resident Geoff Dean said.Mr Dean said the planning application was riddled with errors, including its citing of the Macedon Ranges Planning Scheme.“Our biggest concern is the electromagnetic radiation emitted from the tower,” he said.“If you live within 500 metres of the tower you will be exposed to EM radiation.“It will also impact on the native environment and the visual amenity. It will be nearly seven storeys high and visible from everywhere.’’Mr Dean said the planning application stated that the site was elevated with views over the Calder Highway to the east.“This is correct in so far as the site is elevated,” he said. “It is not covered by the Macedon Ranges Planning Scheme, the Calder Highway is several kilometres to the north and west, and it is certainly not overlooked by the proposed site, since Quarry Hill stands in the way.“The application says it is a rural location on the outskirts of the Kennington township. We think there are more appropriate sites.”Mr Dean said Telstra had proposed other sites in Flora Hill that would be more suitable.“We’ve seen early documents where council staff have said the site is not suitable,” he said.He said objections to the tower had been made and a petition had been launched.“If it is supported by council we’ll have no other choice but to take it to VCAT,” he said.“It’s common for the community to feel overwhelmed and threatened. I think there is fair degree of arrogance in their assumption that they can get away with it.We would appeal to the City of Greater Bendigo’s common sense.”Flora Hill ward councillor Alec Sandner was yesterday unavailable to comment.

Subscribe now for unlimited access.

or signup to continue reading

All articles from our website & app
The digital version of Today's Paper
Breaking news alerts direct to your inbox
Interactive Crosswords, Sudoku and Trivia
All articles from the other in your area

Get the latest Bendigo news in your inbox

Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.

We care about the protection of your data. Read our Privacy Policy.