A MAN who threatened to kill his partner days after a family violence safety notice was issued could be released on a community corrections order.
The 32-year-old man pleaded guilty in the Bendigo Magistrates' Court earlier this week.
The court heard about 12.50am on August 7 last year, police stopped the man after seeing him walking with a hammer in Cranbourne.
Read other court news:
Police searched the man and found a number of items including a ziplock bag filled with methamphetamine, a knife, a wooden chair leg, and a bank card under the name of a different person.
The man was on bail at the time of the offending.
The court heard then on December 26 last year, a family violence safety notice was issued against the man, with his partner as the protected person.
The next day he messaged the woman twice using his mother's phone. He then called her in the early hours of the next morning using the same mobile.
The woman answered but hung up after she realised it was the man calling. He proceeded to send several text messages to her over the course of ten minutes.
The court heard then on January 2 this year, the woman called the man's mother to ask her to stop her son from using the mobile phone.
The man answered and yelled at her, telling the woman he would burn her car.
Read other news:
The next day the man called the woman five times and sent voice messages abusing her.
About 12.36pm that day, the man messaged the woman telling her to call him or he would cut her throat. He also threatened to cut the throats of her family members.
The woman referred the matter to the police.
Defence lawyer Robert Timms told the court the man had been treated at Bendigo Health in the days leading up to the January 2 offending.
Mr Timms said the man had been injected with an unknown medication while in hospital and had no recollection of the phone calls or messages.
Magistrate Patrick Southey said it was "alarming" that the man had made threats while there was a safety notice in place.
But Mr Southey said the man's minimal prior convictions showed he was "not a lost cause".
The magistrate indicated he would give the man a sentence of two months in jail with a community corrections order.
Mr Southey ordered the man be assessed for the corrections order.
The man will return to court next week for sentencing. He was remanded in custody.
Have you signed up to the Bendigo Advertiser's daily newsletter and breaking news emails? You can register below and make sure you are up to date with everything that's happening in central Victoria.