A CENTRAL Victorian man who allegedly threatened his partner with a knife has been denied bail.
The 36-year-old appeared in the Bendigo Magistrates' Court this week where he faced charges including committing an indictable offence while on bail.
The court heard on November 19 last year, the man and his partner were in a motel room in the state's south-west.
Read other court news:
After drinking, the man allegedly became verbally abusive to the woman.
It was alleged that about 8.30pm that evening, the man grabbed the woman by her throat, squeezing her neck until she struggled to breathe.
He then allegedly threw the woman onto the bed and squeezed her thigh until she received cuts and bruises.
The court heard the woman left the motel the next day and the man contacted her several times, allegedly threatening to kill himself, the woman, and the woman's father.
The woman contacted police on November 22 and officers took photos of her injuries.
The court heard about 3.20pm on December 5, a witness saw the man and woman in Kangaroo Flat.
It was alleged the man had the woman pushed up against a fence and had a knife in his right hand. The court heard the man was seen allegedly waving the knife around close to her face.
Police arrived on scene a short time later and saw the accused in a heightened state.
The man was arrested and the knife was located. The accused told police he did not physically assault the woman. He admitted he had the knife but could not provide a reason why.
Read more court: Man jailed in Bendigo for burglary, theft offences
The woman told police he had threatened to kill himself with the knife.
Defence lawyer Anthony Grant told the court the man had already been in custody for six weeks and was facing a lengthy delay before he could contest the charges in court.
But police prosecutor Senior Constable Martin Friend told the court the man had significant prior history and it was not unreasonable that he would be spending more time in custody.
The prosecutor said the man was an unacceptable risk of reoffending and had previously failed to appear in court while on bail.
Magistrate Megan Aumair said the alleged offending was serious and the prosecution's case was reasonably strong.
She refused the man's bail application, saying his time in custody was unlikely to exceed any sentence if he was found guilty.
The man was remanded in custody and is due to return to court for a contest mention next month.
Have you signed up to the Bendigo Advertiser's daily newsletter and breaking news emails? You can register below and make sure you are up to date with everything that's happening in central Victoria.