Ambos hold to threat

Updated November 6 2012 - 1:29pm, first published August 26 2009 - 1:22am

THE impasse between the state’s most qualified paramedics and their employer seems unlikely to end soon.A Bendigo Mobile Intensive Care Ambulance paramedic said yesterday more than 300 colleagues would give up their qualifications on September 9 if Ambulance Victoria failed to respect their specialist skills.The MICA paramedics would forfeit their qualifications and become advanced life support paramedics under the proposed industrial action.MICA paramedics have spent more than 30 years delivering health care to Victorians.“Ambulance Victoria have threatened us with the sack, but if this isn’t sorted out before September 9 there’s over 300 intentions to resign that will be followed through,” the Bendigo MICA paramedic, who did not wish to be named, said.MICA paramedics identified several areas five years ago as being critically important to their work, the paramedic said, but the reluctance of Ambulance Victoria to allow them to pursue these goals had left them feeling helpless.An Ambulance Victoria spokesman said he was confident a resolution would be reached before the deadline.But he said negotiations were unlikely to be entered into with MICA paramedics only weeks after a 15-month-long dispute over pay and conditions had been resolved.“We have certainly not threatened to sack anyone and we want everyone to continue working,” the spokesman said.“Our expectation is that this will be resolved.”

Get the latest Bendigo news in your inbox

Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.

We care about the protection of your data. Read our Privacy Policy.