A man accused of punching a neighbour and smashing their windows has been released from custody on bail - with a stern warning he will get locked up again if he puts a foot wrong.
Zac Taylor-Knight fronted the Bendigo Magistrates' Court on Friday, charged with aggravated burglary and other offences following the alleged offending earlier this month.
The court heard the 24-year-old allegedly smashed a window beside his Strathdale neighbour's front door after yelling at his neighbour and accusing him of stirring up his dog.
More court news: Bendigo man charged with trafficking commercial quantity of drug
One evening a few days later, Mr Taylor-Knight allegedly returned to the neighbour's home and began yelling out at the neighbour's housemate.
The victim heard rustling and allegedly found Mr Taylor-Knight inside the house when he went towards the front door.
It is alleged Mr Taylor-Knight said, "Give me the monitor, I'm taking the monitor".
The court was told Mr Taylor-Knight allegedly pushed and punched the neighbour in the face after the victim said he would pass the monitor through the window.
Once outside, Mr Taylor-Knight allegedly smashed a bedroom window and snatched a baby monitor from inside.
Mr Taylor-Knight is also accused of possessing cannabis, damaging a vehicle connected to an ex-partner, and possessing a dangerous article in public, that being a baton torch, on previous occasions.
Leading Senior Constable Remo Antolini said police opposed bail for Mr Taylor-Knight on the grounds he presented an unacceptable risk of offending.
He said the neighbour did not feel safe in his home and was fearful of retribution.
Defence lawyer Rebecca Healy said there were "serious evidentiary issues" in the police case regarding how Mr Taylor-Knight allegedly entered the neighbour's house.
She said her client denied being at the home or taking the monitor.
More court news: Registered sex offender caught with child abuse material - again
Ms Healy told the court Mr Taylor-Knight was expecting a child with his partner in January, and he was "very concerned" about the welfare of his partner.
Mr Taylor-Knight received a positive assessment to undertake a court program that works with alleged offenders while on bail, she said, and he would live with his sister, away from his neighbour.
Magistrate Rodney Higgins said he believed the prosecution case was strong, but found there were compelling reasons to grant Mr Taylor-Knight bail.
Being on the court program, Mr Higgins said, was the "only thing saving" Mr Taylor-Knight.
He warned Mr Taylor-Knight to be very careful, telling him his days of receiving community-based orders were almost over so he faced going to jail if he did wrong.
"The way to get on and lead a productive life is to get off the drugs," Mr Higgins said.
Mr Taylor-Knight said his time in custody had given him time to think and he wanted to get clean and be there for his family.
He will face court again in February.
Have you signed up to the Bendigo Advertiser's daily newsletter and breaking news emails? You can register below and make sure you are up to date with everything that's happening in central Victoria.