GREATER Bendigo will need more fire prevention measures than normal this summer, as a wet weather system drives grass growth.
The City of Greater Bendigo is planning to conduct extra grass slashing during the summer, to reduce the fire risk from unusual levels of grass growth.
Staff have urged the community to play their part in protecting the municipality from fire by preparing their properties.
Parks and open space manager Paul Gangell said the city would put on extra contractors to cut grass during the coming months, because of the growth caused by high rainfall.
Mr Gangell said the city had finished its first cut of grass on rural roads and was about to start the second one for the season to tackle the exceptional growth.
"There's no doubt the additional rain events have continued the grass growth on," he said.
"It's likely we'll be slashing again during January, where previously there wouldn't have been the growth in January to need it."
Mr Gangell urged private landowners to also undertake fire prevention measures, before the danger season got underway.
Greater Bendigo's fire danger period begins on Monday November 30.
Have you signed up to the Bendigo Advertiser's daily newsletter and breaking news emails? You can register below and make sure you are up to date with everything that's happening in central Victoria.