THE single COVID-19 case recorded in Victoria was a false positive, Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton has confirmed.
The clarification meant there were no new coronavirus cases recorded in the state on Saturday.
THE single COVID-19 case recorded in Victoria on Saturday was a "low positive", Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton says.
Health Minister Martin Foley confirmed the positive case was a person in hospital who had previously tested negative several times.
Mr Sutton said the expert review panel would look into the test result on Saturday.
Read more news:
"We can get these indeterminate results or only a weak signal on the test and they are a normal part of testing," Mr Sutton said. "When you're doing 20,000-plus tests, you will get one or two.
"Previously, we would have had a couple every day but among dozens and dozens positive cases. We were not digging down to those results as we are now."
Mr Foley said there were only 71 active coronavirus cases in Victoria. None of those cases were in the regions.
There were only two people in hospital with COVID-19, although neither of those people were receiving intensive care.
ONLY one new COVID-19 case has been recorded in Victoria.
The Department of Health and Human Services on Saturday said there were no further coronavirus deaths recorded.
The rolling average for metropolitan Melbourne dropped to 2.4, with the state average also sitting at 2.4.
Read more news:
The rolling 14-day case average for regional Victoria remained at zero.
There have only been two cases with an unknown source in metropolitan Melbourne in the past 14 days.
It came after the state recorded four new coronavirus cases and no deaths on Friday.
Premier Daniel Andrews said two of the four new cases were deemed low positive, meaning they could be deemed incorrect when further testing results were returned.
Health officials were investigating the other two cases.
Mr Andrews also confirmed he would not be fronting the media on Saturday for his usual coronavirus update.
The premier will be taking a day off after 120 consecutive days of press conferences.
We have removed our paywall from our stories about the coronavirus. This is a rapidly changing situation and we want to make sure our readers are as informed as possible. If you would like to support our journalists you can subscribe here.