Bendigo Health's public health contact tracing team is up and running, tasked with tracing positive COVID-19 cases in the entire Loddon Mallee region.
Bendigo Health chief executive Peter Faulkner outlined how the 12 contact tracers, based at the former hospital site, off Lucan Street, go about their work.
"Once we receive notification of a positive case, we contact the person, get as much detail as we can, define who are the close contacts and who are the casual contacts," he said.
Mr Faulkner said he is confident contact tracing will help curtail the spread of COVID-19 in Bendigo, with 25 active COVID-19 cases in Bendigo, as of Tuesday afternoon.
"There won't be that little bit of delay between ourselves and the state and back and forth.
One of the Bendigo contact tracing team's first tasks was is to work St Joseph's Primary School, Quarry Hill's cluster, now at five cases.
Bendigo Health was assigned asked to conduct tracing late on Monday afternoon.
The first confirmed COVID-19 case to originate from the school was made public on July 29, with a staff member testing positive.
Since then, four more cases have been recorded.
Mr Faulkner said the state government initially took the lead in contact tracing positive cases and close contacts at St Joseph's from the time the first case was recorded, until late Monday afternoon.
"Everybody who has been tested at Bendigo Health, we have always traced and tracked and we have done that at St Joseph's," Mr Faulkner said.
"The broader contact tracing, to determine where the positive case acquired the illness and where it may have been, is the work that was done by the public health unit of the state.
"We will now take on both elements of the process."
Mr Faulkner said members of the community who aren't contacted are not deemed to be a close contact of any existing positive cases.
"We are encouraged that people in our community are doing the right thing, wearing masks, hand hygiene and social distancing," he said.
The health service's chief medical officer Dr Diana Badcock said there are two people admitted to Bendigo Health for treatment of COVID-19, but neither of those individual's are in ICU.
Information about the age, sex and potential source of infection for either patient is unable to be disclosed.