The Eaglehawk landfill has reopened, after a suspected asbestos scare earlier in the day.
City of Greater Bendigo senior landfill engineer Kylie Douglas said experts had attended the site and confirmed the suspicious material was not asbestos.
Mrs Douglas said a new measure was to be introduced to avoid any similar disruptions in the future.
"Any companies that are transporting any cement products... must be accompanied by an asbestos clearance certificate," she said.
The Eaglehawk landfill is closed while a load of rubbish containing suspected asbestos is cleaned up.
City of Greater Bendigo senior landfill engineer Kylie Douglas said a truck came in about 8.10am Wednesday carrying suspected undisclosed asbestos among other waste.
The material believed to be asbestos was discovered when the waste was offloaded.
Mrs Douglas said the site was immediately closed and the area isolated.
WorkSafe have been notified.
More local news: New jobs in Huntly as part of agriculture plan
The company that brought in the suspected asbestos would clean up the load at their cost, Mrs Douglas said, as it was not disclosed and the landfill site does not take commercial asbestos waste.
The landfill will be closed until the entire load of waste is cleaned up.
The site could reopen to the public later today, and should reopen by tomorrow at the latest.
Mrs Douglas said workers onsite did not approach the load while it was being offloaded, and the material was in solid pieces.
Have you signed up to the Bendigo Advertiser's daily newsletter and breaking news emails? You can register below and make sure you are up to date with everything that's happening in central Victoria.