THE Bendigo Easter Fair Society is monitoring advice about staging events amid concerns about an emerging coronavirus pandemic.
Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews, health minister Jenny Mikakos and chief health officer Brett Sutton today released a plan to respond to the virus.
As part of the plan, Mr Andrews warned that large sporting and cultural events might be cancelled to help slow the spread of COVID-19.
"Now's not the time for those things, but that time will come," he said.
Bendigo Easter Fair Society president Simon Mulqueen said plans for the four-day event were still "full steam ahead".
"At this point there's no reason to doubt the Easter Fair will happen," he said.
But, if the 150th event had to be postponed until next year, it would be.
"If the government directs us to do things necessary in the best interest of the public, we will do them," Mr Mulqueen said.
It was the first time, that he was aware, the event had been faced with such circumstances.
"We can only do what we're doing and our plan is the Easter Fair will go ahead as everyone expects it to... and as it has done for 149 years," Mr Mulqueen said.
Last year's festivities attracted thousands of people, especially the opportunity to see the city's new and heritage dragons parading together.
The City of Greater Bendigo had not received any advice or information by 1.15pm today that indicated residents needed to change their behaviour with regards to attending public events.
The Bendigo Chinese Association was seeking volunteers interested in helping bring some of the event's highlights to life.
About 70 positions were available for the Sunday Torchlight Parade and about 200 for the Bendigo Advertiser Gala Parade on Monday.
Registrations opened on March 21 and continued from 1pm - 5pm on weekends and 4pm - 6pm on weekdays until April 9.
Interested volunteers were encouraged to attend the Bendigo Chinese Association rooms at 13 Bridge Street, Bendigo, on the corner of Cemetery Lane.
The 150th Bendigo Easter Fair is from April 10 - 13.