A BENDIGO aged care centre is hopeful a suspected gastroenteritis outbreak is in its final days.
Bentley's Aged Care has been limiting visitors for much of the month after detecting symptoms such as vomiting and diarrhoea.
Both the Victorian Department of Health and Human Services and the City of Greater Bendigo were notified about December 11.
Signs at the entrance to the centre near Christmas said the home was closed to all visitors because of an outbreak of gastroenteritis.
Honeysuckle Regional Health, which operates the 60-bed centre, said the outbreak started on December 18.
Chief executive Barry Hobbs said there were a number of suspected gastro cases before then.
"We're really in precaution mode at the moment," he said.
He was hopeful the outbreak would be over in a couple of days.
An outbreak is considered to be over when a facility has been symptom-free for 48 hours.
"It has lingered longer than I thought," Mr Hobbs said.
He said the outbreak had been well managed. It had yet to be confirmed as gastro, but Mr Hobbs said the centre would be treating it as such until proven otherwise.
Visitors were encouraged to wash their hands when entering and exiting the centre and to be mindful of food hygiene.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.