Brad Comer won't pull on the boots for his beloved Newbridge again.
The Maroons' 2018 LVFNL premiership coach told the club's playing group and supporters on Saturday night that his playing days were numbered after succumbing to a series of injuries.
"It's one of the hardest decisions I've made in my life,'' 34-year-old Comer said on Monday.
"Under doctor's advice it's time to give it away.
"It's a difficult one. I'd love to keep playing...I still love my footy, but everything comes to an end."
As a 19-year-old, Comer was a member of Sandhurst's 2004 BFNL premiership team.
He later returned to his home club Newbridge where he's had stints as playing-coach, including last year's premiership.
"The premierships are the pinnacle,'' Comer said.
"The Sandhurst one I probably didn't realise how lucky I was. I probably thought more were going to come.
"It took me a while to get my next one. It helped me love my footy more as I got older."
Newbridge president Kristian Shevlin said Comer was one of the greatest players to pull on a Maroons' jumper.
"On top of what he's achieved on the field he's done so much for the club behind the scenes,'' Shevlin said.
"He bleeds maroon and white. When he made the announcement on Saturday night there wasn't a dry eye in the rooms.
"It was emotional because he's been such a valuable player for the club."
Comer will coach the rest of the season from the sidelines and is in negotiations with the club about 2020.
The Maroons are one out of the five with four matches remaining.
"We're back in the pack, but our destiny is still in our own hands,'' Comer said.
"It's an exciting challenge for the club."
Have you signed up to the Bendigo Advertiser's daily newsletter and breaking news emails? You can register below and make sure you are up to date with everything that's happening in central Victoria.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.