Update, Sunday 1.25pm:
THE Country Fire Authority has identified the substance involved in a chemical leak in East Bendigo on Friday night as aluminium phosphide.
A man injured after being exposed to the chemical, which is frequently used on farms for fumigation, is believed to have been discharged from Bendigo Health.
WorkSafe is investigating the incident and the CFA is assisting.
Update, Saturday 12.18pm:
THE Country Fire Authority has confirmed last night’s chemical leak in East Bendigo was linked with the recovery of a substance at the Bendigo Creek the night prior.
A container filled with an unknown substance was found at the creek near Goornong about 8.30pm on Thursday.
The CFA responded to the incident and handed control of the site over to the Environmental Protection Authority.
A man was injured last night when a drum sent to a company in East Bendigo for cleaning released chemicals.
He remains at the Bendigo Hospital.
Both the CFA and WorkSafe are investigating the incident. The CFA’s investigations include identifying the substance in the drum.
The CFA believes the substance is chemical frequently used on farms for fumigation.
Update, Saturday 10.22am:
A MAN is in a stable condition at Bendigo Health after a drum sent to a company in East Bendigo for cleaning last night released chemicals.
CFA responders left the Piper Lane address at 6am today, almost 10 hours after emergency services received the call for help.
The substance in the drum has yet to be confirmed.
A CFA spokesperson said the drum released chemicals upon arrival, injuring the person directly in front of it.
The HAZMAT response included neutralising the chemicals at the scene.
A man near by has described "a loud bang" at the time of the incident.
Rohan Hickinbotham thought nothing of it until he saw emergency services on the scene. He went out and was told he needed to leave the area straight away.
"It was quite a loud scary bang," Mr Hickinbotham said.
"It just sounded like something large was falling on the roof."
A hazardous fumes leak in Piper Lane has led to an advice message being issued for East Bendigo by the Country Fire Authority.
There is currently no threat to the community, but residents should stay informed an monitor conditions.
A man was transported to Bendigo Hospital with burn injuries after the incident.
Emergency services will remain in the area as they clean up the leak.
People are asked to keep the roads clear so emergency services can respond and avoid the area, as emergency services are working on the source of the hazard.
Anyone experiencing symptoms that may be due to exposure should seek medical advice or call Nurse on Call at 1300 606 024.
Anyone experiencing wheezing, chest tightness or difficulty breathing should call Triple Zero (000).
Stay up to date at: emergency.vic.gov.au
A man in his 40s has been taken to Bendigo Base Hospital with burn injuries to his face following a Hazmat incident in East Bendigo.
Paramedics were called to the incident on Piper Lane on Friday just before 8pm.
More to come.
Have you signed up to the Bendigo Advertiser's daily newsletter and breaking news emails? You can register below and make sure you are up to date with everything that's happening in central Victoria.