AFTER losses in its opening eight games, Serpentine finally has its first victory of the Upper Loddon Cricket Association season.
Serpentine upset top four side Wedderburn – a team it forfeited against in round two – at home by eight runs on Saturday for its breakthrough win of 2018-19.
Set up by a 101-run opening stand between Charlie Gadsden (61) and Charlie Bellenger (34), Serpentine scored 7-184 off its 35 overs.
Owen Lockhart (4-21) snared four wickets for Wedderburn, which was contained to 7-176 in reply by Serpentine.
• Newbridge also recorded a round nine upset win against second-placed Inglewood by seven runs.
Chasing Inglewood’s 7-153, Newbridge answered with 4-160 to win its third game of the season.
Newbridge’s successful run-chase was anchored by 53 from opener Ashley Bayliss, who compiled his third half-century of the season.
• Reigning premier Kingower continued its solid form, improving to 8-1 with a 60-run win over Boort-Yando at home.
Kingower’s Matt Rowe (5-10) was in fine form with the ball as Boort-Yando was all out for 114 after winning the toss and batting.
Kingower passed its target one wicket down before closing at 5-174, which featured a knock of 60 from veteran Ben Rose in what was his fifth half-century of the season.
• Arnold all-rounder Cameron Dale dominated with bat and ball in the Redbacks’ 34-run win over Bridgewater.
Opening the batting, Dale made 78 in Arnold’s 5-179 and then took 4-22 in Bridgewater’s innings of 7-145.
• Ladder – Kingower (48), Inglewood (42), Arnold (36), Wedderburn (30), Boort-Yando (24), Newbridge (18), Bridgewater (12), Serpentine (6).
RAYWOOD hung on in a thriller to defeat Colbinabbin in their Northern United Cricket Association tussle.
The Foxes’ total of 83 just proved enough as the Ducks were bowled out for 81 in reply at Colbinabbin.
Jack Maher (2-17) took the match-winning wicket for Raywood when he had Colbinabbin’s Riley Coghill (0) caught by Jarrett Miles.
Colbinabbin lost its last five wickets for 22 after it had been 5-59.
• Goornong suffered a 10-wicket loss for the second game in a row, this time against Dingee.
Dingee’s Scott Lawry bagged 6-17 as the Blowflies bowled Goornong out 55 after sending the Mountain Goats in.
Dingee took 10 overs to answer with 0-58 in a game that was all over in just 23.2 overs.
• Elmore remained unbeaten following its eight-wicket win over Bagshot.
Elmore’s Tyler Oliver jagged 5-17 in the Bagshot innings of 8-140 after the Razorbacks won the toss.
The Redbacks wasted little time in mowing down their target, taking just 16 overs to reach 2-141, which was set up by a 101-run opening partnership between Chris Smith (64) and skipper Matt Gilmour (45 n.o.).
• Calivil defeated Heathcote by forfeit.
It was the second week in a row Heathcote has forfeited.
Have you signed up to the Bendigo Advertiser's daily newsletter and breaking news emails? You can register below and make sure you are up to date with everything that's happening in central Victoria.