GOLDEN Square president Brendan Stewart says the club is embarrassed at its under-18 forfeit in the BFNL last Saturday, but the Bulldogs will have a team this weekend against Strathfieldsaye.
The Bulldogs were fixtured to play Kangaroo Flat at Wade Street last week, but didn’t have sufficient numbers and forfeited.
The forfeit meant it was the third week in a row Kangaroo Flat’s under-18s were unable to play a game.
The Roos also had a pair of forfeits against them in the previous two weeks when their opponents were Castlemaine and Maryborough – neither of which have an under-18 team this year.
LETTER TO THE EDITOR – KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE BALL
“We’ve been struggling to get a side most of the year and it was probably the perfect storm last week of injuries – we’ve got about five with season-ending injuries – and players in the seniors and Bendigo Pioneers,” Stewart said on Thursday.
“It was embarrassing for us and we would obviously hope that it never happens again.
“We got to a stage where we were going to have to play injured players to get the numbers, but we’ve got a duty of care and that was out of the question, so we had no choice.”
Stewart said the Bulldogs only had 12 under-18 players available for the game against the Roos, while they had three players selected in the senior team.
While you're with us, did you know you can now sign up to receive breaking news updates direct to your inbox. Sign up here.