Central Victorian woman who fell pregnant to a 15-year-old has been sent to jail

A CENTRAL Victorian woman who conceived a child after having sex with a 15-year-old boy has been jailed after breaching her community corrections order for the offence.

Sonia Singh, 39, was resentenced in the Bendigo County Court on Monday.

She was initially placed on a three-year community corrections order in March on one count of sexual penetration of a child under 16, but breached the order within days by failing to report to appointments and allegedly committing further offences.

The original incident occurred while Singh, aged 35 at the time, was living in Maryborough.

The court earlier heard the teenager attended a party in 2014.

Singh left to a nearby pub, before returning to the house drug and alcohol-affected in the early hours of the morning where she found the 15-year-old boy in bed. She “initiated unprotected sexual intercourse”, became pregnant and gave birth the following year.

Singh was aware of the boy’s age.

The boy has since suffered serious anxiety, and gave a statement to police six months after the incident.

A psychological assessment found Singh suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder after she was exposed to “significant trauma in early childhood” while living in Queensland.

Singh had her first child at 15.

During the plea hearing, defence counsel John Lavery described Singh’s life before and after the offence as “tragic” and “chaotic”, characterised by drug and alcohol abuse.

She has been convicted of 11 violence and drug-related offences, and failed to attend her sentencing in Bendigo last year.

Singh has breached four of the seven community corrections orders handed down by the courts.

She has since been charged with handling stolen goods.

During sentencing in March, Judge Paul Lacava said a community corrections order was an appropriate punishment for the “one-off offence” against the 15-year-old boy.

On Monday, he said it gave him “no pleasure whatsoever” to send Singh to jail, and it was disappointing that she did not take the opportunity for rehabilitation.

Singh was convicted and jailed for two years, with a one-year non-parole period. A further month was added for breaching the community corrections order.

Singh has already served 43 days in pre-sentence detention.