Convicted rapist targeted woman in her northern Victorian home, committing two indecent assaults

A CONVICTED rapist who indecently assaulted a woman in front of her house in a northern Victorian town will spend at least three years and two months in jail.

The man in his 30, who a County Court judge has ruled cannot be identified in order to protect the victim’s identity, was sentenced in Melbourne this week on two counts of indecent assault in 2012 and 2015.

He was previously released after two years for committing a rape, in circumstances that a judge described as having “certain peculiar and particular similarities” to his later offending.

Two years after his release, he committed the indecent assaults.

The court heard the man arrived at the victim’s house at midnight on a night in 2012 and knocked on the door. She answered and he asked to see her husband, who was asleep.

The woman – who did not recognise the man – came outside to speak to him because she believed he needed help with something.

He grabbed her arm and breast, and then indecently assaulted her “forcefully”.

He then left the address, while the woman went inside and cried before her husband immediately called police.

In 2015, the same man came back to the house and spoke with the same woman at the front door. She recognised him, but could not recall from where.

He asked her questions “which made her feel uncomfortable” and she believed he was “trying to chat her up”.

The woman remembered the man after he left the address and her husband called police again.

He was taken into custody three months later.

He pleaded guilty to indecent assault charges.

The court heard the man has an extensive criminal history, including armed robbery, driving and dishonesty offences, breaching a range of community-based orders, and rape.

He was sentenced for the rape in 2008. The offending involved entering the house of a woman he knew, who thought she was helping him with an inquiry. The man then raped her.

He was jailed for four years and six months, but was granted parole after two years.

Judge Frank Gucciardo described this sentence as “very lenient”.

“It is clear that the hope which the judge expressed in dealing with you in 2008 has been unrealised by you,” he said.

“I’m satisfied beyond reasonable doubt that you are a danger to the sexual safety of members of the community given this matter and your prior.”

Judge Gucciardo said it was “imperative” that the man receive treatment for his sexual offending.

He was jailed for four years and nine months, with three years and two months non-parole. He will also be on the Sex Offenders Register for life.