Hoons have again targeted Wolstencroft Reserve while redevelopment plans remain delayed pending soil testing results.
A Flora Hill resident, who wished to remain anonymous, said a white ute was spotted driving on the reserve on Tuesday night. Burnouts were evident the following morning.
“It’s very frightening for the elderly people in the area and it’s also destructive for our park,” the resident said.
She said it had been an issue for about 18 months.
Wolstencroft Area Action Group wants to see the reserve redeveloped into a park.
“Then we won’t have to worry about people driving on it – we’ll be able to enjoy using it,” spokesman Ian McBurney said.
A master plan for the site was developed in 2008 and the City of Greater Bendigo allocated $50,000 for land improvement works at Wolstencroft Reserve in its 2014-15 budget.
But there can be no further progress until a soil testing report has been released.
The site once housed a brickworks and was later used as a dumping ground for building waste before being covered with grass for use as a community space.
“Every day this project is put off is another day these residents have to put up with events like this,” Yvonne Wrigglesworth said.
She is a candidate for the Eppalock Ward in the upcoming council elections.
“I vow to end the nine years of delays surrounding the actioning of the Wolstencroft Reserve master plan,” Ms Wrigglesworth said.
“Councillors know what needs to happen to get this site cleaned up and ready to be developed, but they haven’t done it.”
City of Greater Bendigo acting parks and natural reserves manager Orrin Hogan said it was disappointing and frustrating when people vandalised public open spaces like the Wolstencroft Street reserve.
“This type of vandalism is simply destructive and unnecessary and it comes at a cost to the ratepayer,” he said.
“I would encourage anyone who witnesses any acts of vandalism to contact the police immediately.”