AN ELECTRICAL fire in a car was brought under control by a quick thinking carpenter on Thursday evening.
Glenn Waddell was going to pick his boys up this evening when he saw smoke coming from a car parked at Bendigo Stadium.
Mr Waddell retrieved a fire extinguisher from a nearby truck and used it to effectively put out the fire.
"We were driving by and there were a few people around with the tiny fire extinguishers," he said.
"I told my fiance to do a U-turn because I knew there would be a bigger on on the Scott's truck.
"Fire extinguishers are bolted on the chassis of those trucks, so I knew there would be one on there. I grabbed it, opened the door and got to (the fire)."
Mr Waddell said other passers-by had hooked the car up to another car to tow it out of the way of nearby vehicles.
Fire warden training with Fulton Hogan meant Mr Waddell knew to extinguish the ignition point of the fire.
"My step-dad was a CFA officer for quite some time and I did a fire warden course in Melbourne," he said.
"I saved some of the (Extinguisher chemicals) in case it re-ignited but it was just a smoulder (when CFA arrived).
"It was definitely an electrical fire. I could smell burning wires."
CFA senior station officer John Lane said CFA units took between five and 10 minutes to completely put out the fire.
"There is a fair bit of damage to the dash," he said.
'Something shorted out in the car. It won't be investigated.
"The owner wasn't in the car."
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.