PICTURES: Defensive battle ends in season's first draw

IT was the battle of defenders during Saturday’s round eight clash between Kangaroo Flat and Kyneton.

Despite the Roos shooting 12-goals in the final quarter, the league’s two powerhouses fought out a 35 all draw.

Kyneton led at every change but it was only in the final seconds of the game when Kangaroo Flat managed to level the game.  

Tigers coach Dean Erdman said it was a tough game.

“It wasn’t free flowing there was a lot of defensive pressure put on throughout the game,” he said.

“The highest margin was about five goals, so it was a very tight game.”

Erdman said the game proved his team could compete strongly against the best in the competition.

“It was a game we probably should have won,” he said.

“But there is no doubt they are the side to beat this year.

“You have to give credit to Kangaroo Flat they came back and were very good.”

Erdman said centre player Emma Webb was continuing to impress this season.

South Bendigo scored a two goal win over Castlemaine.

The come from behind win was the Bloods’ first for the season.

Coach Debbie Symes said it was a win the team had deserved.

“We were seven down at one stage so it was definitely a win we earned,” she said.

“It was a quite competitive game, the whole team worked hard on their defensive game and worked hard to get the ball to the post.

“By the end of the game, the girls were exhausted.”

Symes said it had been difficult to have consistency on the court this season, with several key players suffering injuries.

“One of our defenders broke her toe and shooter Nat Dusting tore her calf, so she is out for 10 weeks,” she said.

“The good teams in this competition have depth, so we are working on that.”

Maryborough also cemented its spot in the top five with a 17 goal win over Eaglehawk.

Coach Laura Hurse said with the game being played indoors, the intensity from both teams lifted.

“It was a fast-paced high scoring first quarter,” she said.

“There was about 30 goals scored in total for the first quarter.”

Hurse said Eaglehawk had come out firing from the first whistle.

“We led by about eight at half time and then we put the foot down in the second half,” she said.

The Magpies are now in fifth spot on the ladder, two games clear of Sandhurst, who is in sixth place.

Hurse said playing finals was firmly in their sights.

“We haven’t played finals in the last couple of years,” she said.

“We are working on different things each week, we are not getting ahead of ourselves. 

"We have to concentrate on our own game. 

"Hopefully we can push up into that top four."

In other games, Golden Square scored its sixth win of the season, defeating Sandhurst by 12 goals at the Queen Elizabeth Oval.

The win now puts the Dogs in fourth position on the ladder while Sandhurst is in sixth spot on the ladder.

Reigning premiers, Gisborne, also scored a comprehensive win over Strathfieldsaye.

Gisborne won 47 to 22 at Gardiner Reserve. 


Discuss "PICTURES: Defensive battle ends in season's first draw"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.