Be careful when using gas bottle operated cooking equipment

GAS SAFETY: Ensure all safety measures are taken when using gas operated cooking equipment. Picture: Fairfax Media.
GAS SAFETY: Ensure all safety measures are taken when using gas operated cooking equipment. Picture: Fairfax Media.

After a series of gas barbecue explosions last summer all Australians have been urged to be alert and cautious when operating gas bottle cooking equipment.

Australian Medical Association president Dr Michael Gannon has warned that sunburn is not the only type of skin burn to be wary of during the holiday season.

“Leaking gas bottles or hoses can explode, built-up fat and grease can provide fuel for a fire, and accelerants should never be used to start or feed a fire,” Dr Gannon said. 

“It’s important to regularly maintain and clean your barbecue and other outdoor cooking equipment, including pizza ovens and spit roasters, and check the gas bottle and hose for any leaks.”

In addition emergency fire safety equipment should always be available and observe all current weather and fire danger warnings with the necessity to reconsider plans on extremely hot days.

“If someone does sustain a burn, it is important to stay calm and start first aid immediately,” Dr Gannon said.

“Remove clothing and jewellery from the burn area, and run cool water over the burn for 20 minutes. Cover the burn area with clean cloth or cling wrap, and seek medical attention immediately.”