THE public has been warned to avoid direct contact with water in Lake Eppalock and Cairn Curran Reservoir after high levels of blue-green algae were detected.
Goulburn-Murray Water issued the warning on Friday and signs will be in place at recreational areas around the two bodies of water.
They have urged users to find an alternative water supply until the warning is lifted.
People are urged not to enter the water, to wash their skin immediately with cold clean water after coming in contact and not to use the water for cooking, drinking, washing or showering.
Skin rashes, itchiness and sore eyes are common side effects of coming in contact with water with high levels of blue-green algae, while nausea and vomiting can occur if ingested.
It is not possible to predict how long the algae will remain at high levels.
GMW is continuing to monitor the two bodies of water.
A blue-green algae warning is also current for Hepburns Lagoon.