Two grass fires and a gas leak completes busy week for Bendigo firefighters

Firefighters attended two grass fires and a gas leak on Friday evening and the early hours of Saturday morning with authorities urging residents to be vigilant amid drying conditions. 

A small grass fire at Bobs Street, North Bendigo, at 8.26pm was followed by another at the corner of Finn Street and Holdsworth Road, North Bendigo. 

The latter was possibly caused by a cigarette, according to Bendigo Senior Station Officer Rob Puise.

Related: CFA crews tackle fires near Maldon, Castlemaine, Harcourt, Echuca

“Be vigilant, the environment is drying out very quickly and the grass is getting dry,” he said. 

“People have to be very careful with regards to the use of machinery and burning off. 

“There’s been some burn offs that get out of control very quickly.”

CFA crews also attended a gas leak at a service station on High Street, Golden Square, at 8.56pm on Friday – believed to be a malfunction of a gas filler on a car, Mr Puise said.

The incidents completed a busy week for fire crews, who attended a number of fires near Castlemaine, Maldon and Echuca West on Wednesday.

No fire restrictions are currently in place for the Greater Bendigo region, but residents are urged to be aware of prevailing conditions.