Woman jailed for stabbing man, attacking bus driver, damaging property during rampage

A GOLDEN Square woman who stabbed a man in the leg, smashed a bus driver’s phone and went on a violent rampage has been sentenced to 12 months’ jail.

Kerry Shawell Thomus pleaded guilty in the Bendigo Magistrates’ Court last week to 17 charges.

The court heard Thomus became verbally aggressive towards a bus driver when she refused to pay a fare during a trip in September.

The driver circled Bendigo Railway Station until she would pay, so Thomus knocked the driver’s phone from his hand and struck him to the face causing his lip to bleed.

Thomus then threw the iPhone 6S onto the ground several times, destroying it.

She was arrested on Bath Lane soon after and taken to the Alexander Bayne Centre, where she was later discharged.

In October, Thomus was asked to leave a house in Bendigo after making people “feel uneasy” by holding a steak knife.

She lunged at a man and stabbed him in the knee before others were able to subdue her. The man did not require hospitalisation.

Thomus was arrested soon after at the Bendigo Railway Station, still holding the knife.

In December, Thomus violated an intervention order by yelling abuse at a man as he entered a bank in Kangaroo Flat.

Thomus was also charged for a synthetic cannabis-fueled rampage in Golden Square on January 7 this year.

After smoking the substance, Thomus smashed a window with her head and arms leaving a trail of blood down the street.

She then snapped windscreen wipers off a car and crawled underneath it, attempting to pull out more components. Thomus became stuck under the car.

She was arrested two days later in the Bendigo Law Courts area on Sidney Myer Place.

Thomus was in possession of a pocketknife, and told police she had no recollection of her previous crimes.

Magistrate Patrick Southey said Thomus had a “long history” of violent and antisocial behaviour, and it appeared the mental health system was unable to handle her case.

He said it would be up to the parole board to come up with a solution.

“The poor old bus driver got a blood lip, that would have been a really bad experience,” Mr Southey said.

“If you won’t obey intervention orders, have prior convictions of violent and antisocial behaviour, weapons offences as well, it’s alarming.

“The best way to protect the community is with prison.”

Thomus was sentenced to 12 months in prison with a non-parole period of three months.