Man treated for burns after Guildford house fire

A picture of the Guildford house fire sent in by a Bendigo Advertiser reader.
A picture of the Guildford house fire sent in by a Bendigo Advertiser reader.

UPDATE, SUNDAY, 11.11AM: The CFA has confirmed the man, in his 50s, received burns to his face and hands.

The fire took around 15 minutes to control and crews managed to save 50 per cent of the early settlement home, the CFA tweeted on Sunday.

"Five trucks and support vehicles from Guildford, Fryerstown, Castlemaine, Campbells Creek and Bendigo attended," the tweet said.

For more information on what you can do to reduce your risk of fires in the home, visit

UPDATE, SUNDAY, 9.40AM: The CFA has confirmed the cause of the fire was accidental, possibly from a candle on a couch.

"It's not actually totally destroyed," a CFA spokeswoman said.

"They saved 50 per cent of the house which is a really good effort considering this house was one of the early settlement houses.

"It was one of the first houses built in Guildford.

"Because they'd determined the cause was accidental there won't be any further investigation."

The spokeswoman said the man who sustained burns was trying to put the fire out.


UPDATE 9.02PM: A man has been treated by paramedics for burns to the face and back of his hands following a house fire in Guildford.

An Ambulance Victoria spokesperson said paramedics treated the man's burns at the scene of the house fire on Shicer Gully Road and the man did not require hospitalisation.

Two Ambulance Victoria units from Castlemaine and Guildford attended, while an initial call for a Mobile Intensive Care Unit was cancelled.

EARLIER: A man in his 50s is being treated for burns following a house fire in Guildford.

The man was one of the two occupants of the Shicer Gully Road house which had to be evacuated following a fire which began about 7pm on Saturday night, a CFA spokesperson said.

Six trucks and two support vehicles - from Guildford, Castlemaine, Fryerstown, Campbells Creek and Bendigo fire brigades - quickly brought the blaze under control by about 7.15pm.

However, a CFA spokesperson said the home was "fully engulfed" and "significantly destroyed" by the fire.

An Ambulance Victoria spokesperson said paramedics were treating the man at the scene and a Mobile Intensive Care Ambulance was on its way. 

More to come.