THE Country Fire Authority has warned people about the dangers of house fires during the winter months.
A recent rise in the number of deadly blazes across the state has sparked concern.
In the past six months there were more fatal house fires in regional Victoria than there were during the whole of 2013.
CFA Loddon Mallee Region community safety manager Rachel Rogers said people needed to be vigilant of potential fire hazards in the home.
"Tragically, 10 people have lost their lives and many more have been injured in home fires this year," she said.
"We are extremely concerned about these figures especially as the danger period is only just beginning."
Mrs Rogers said there were a number of causes of these fires.
"Don't forget to check on older relatives, neighbours or friends who may need help checking their smoke alarm or developing an escape plan," she said.
Mrs Rogers said there was an increase in people using different electrical outlets for a range of heating instruments.
"There are simple steps people can take to protect themselves to avoid tragedy," she said.
There are simple steps people can take to protect themselves.Rachel Rogers
"Ensure your home has a working smoke alarm, keep your clothing at least a metre away from heaters and never smoke in bed.
"Never leave you cooking unattended and keep electrical appliances in good working order."