THE Country Fire Authority has praised a Maiden Gully man for keeping a fire extinguisher at his house.
Firefighters were called to the property on Burra Burra Road about 8.45pm on Monday after a bathroom ceiling fan light caught fire.
Bendigo Fire Brigade senior station officer Tim Fitzgerald said the man was able to contain the fire with the extinguisher before emergency services arrived.
"It was quite a good effort," he said.
"It is always handy to have an extinguisher at your house.
"He did a good job."
Mr Fitzgerald said the fire had caused minimal structural damage to the house.
He said no-one was hurt in the incident.