Bendigo homeless fund-raiser succeeds

HAVEN is thrilled Bendigo for Homeless Youth has achieved its $100,000 target to be put towards tackling youth homelessness in the city.

Just over $84,000 was raised with only four days until the December 31 deadline before an anonymous donor committed to providing the much-needed funds.

Charity founder Luke Owens said he was lost for words when he found out his target had been achieved. 

“It is classic Bendigo spirit,” he said. 

Mr Owens said he was proud to have raised the money but even prouder to see the community working together to raise the money. 

“The community has come together, new partnerships have been formed and people are working together,” he said. 

“I am exceptionally proud.”

Haven acting chief executive officer Niall Hensey said the money and awareness raised by Mr Owens and committee would lay the foundation for a large-scale Haven housing project.

“It’s part of a larger effort on our behalf to raise funds to develop a service in Bendigo to target homelessness. 

“Its importance in terms of generating community awareness and moving towards a financial target is significant. 

“It’s a considerable step in terms of gaining community support and assistance in addressing the problem of youth homelessness.”

Mr Hensey said the achievement was a credit not only to Luke, but the entire Bendigo community.

“We’re delighted that they’ve reached their target and congratulate them on achieving that. 

“We’d also like to extend thanks to generous donations from the  Bendigo community.”

Mr Hensey said the organisation would continue to work with Bendigo for Homeless Youth to meet the objectives they set themselves.

“It’s something we’re proud to be a part of,” he said.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop