The Greater Bendigo region has recorded 173 new coronavirus cases in the last 24 hours - a drop from yesterday's 208 cases.
Unfortunately, according to data from the Department of Health active cases in the region have continued to grow, with the number now sitting at 999.
In a slight decline from Friday's new case numbers, the Campaspe Shire recorded 67 new cases overnight, bringing it's total number of active cases to 615.
The Central Goldfields Shire recorded six news cases and Ganawarra Shires recorded 29 new coronavirus cases.
Buloke Shire recorded another 13 new COVID cases in the last 24 hours and Loddon Shire another two.
The Macedon Ranges reported another 55 new cases and the Mount Alexander Shire another 21.
NEW infections in Victoria have dropped for the first time this week, with the state recording another 25,526 COVID-19 cases overnight.
The new infections were detected from 12,857 at-home rapid antigen tests and 12,669 laboratory-run PCR tests.
Local case numbers reduced slightly as Greater Bendigo recorded 208 on Friday.
Sadly, another 23 people have died from the virus and its complications, according to Department of Health statistics.
A total of 1054 people are in hospital with COVID-19, 115 in intensive care and 30 on ventilators.
What's making news?
Popular restaurant Flight Bar and Bottleshop is one of a number of hospitality businesses currently for sale in Bendigo.
Owners Justin McPhail and Nick Horgan started the business in 2016 before establishing burger bar Hustlers in 2019.
Since then, both restaurants have grown rapidly with Hustler moving from its home in Lyttleton Terrace to a bigger space in the Bendigo Bank Central hub.
Flight Bar then moved from its Abbott Arcade space to the Lyttleton Terrace location.
"When we setup we didn't understand how big it would grow," Mr McPhail said. "We put it up for sale to free up some headspace to focus on the businesses that operate in Hustler including Franks."
Frank's Bendigo is a bodega-style business that operates in Hustler and offers coffee, sweet treats and Hustler takeaway.
After a challenging two years for school leavers, La Trobe University has made offers to more than four thousand students as part of the Victorian Tertiary Admissions Centre January offer round on Friday.
La Trobe University acting Vice-Chancellor Professor Susan Dodds congratulated all students commencing this year for their resilience and determination.
"After completing their secondary education under very difficult circumstances, this year's cohort are to be congratulated for their flexibility and firm focus on pursuing their passion," she said.
Catherine McAuley year 12 students Piper Dunlop and Abby Perdon were two of the more than 900 students offered spots at La Trobe's Bendigo campus.
Piper said she was relieved to receive an offer at a local university as it would enable her to continue playing basketball for the Bendigo Braves.
"I was really excited to receive my offer into Exercise Science on Friday morning, it's great to know I'll be able to study something I love while I play sport at the same time," Piper said.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can access our trusted content: