The Bendigo Spirit's return to the Women's National Basketball League has been further delayed.
The Spirit were scheduled to play Perth at Bendigo Stadium this Friday night, but the WNBL announced on Tuesday that the game had been postponed because of COVID-19 protocols.
At this stage, the Spirit's next match will be at home against the Townsville Fire on Friday, January 21.
"This situation seems to be changing on a daily basis,'' Bendigo Stadium Limited chief executive officer Dennis Bice said.
"At this stage our next games will be on Friday, January 21 in Bendigo against Townsville and then Sunday, January 23 against Canberra in Canberra.
"They're the games we know we're playing at the moment, but who knows what could happen between now and then."
Read more: EVCA makes decision on season return
Read more: COVID-19 cases in Bendigo skyrocket
Bice confirmed that the majority of the Spirit playing roster had tested positive to COVID-19.
"The health and wellbeing of the players and staff is our number one focus,'' Bice said.
"They've all been affected by COVID in different ways. Some have had few issues, while others haven't been in a good way.
"We're working closely with our club doctor to make sure the players are well enough to, firstly, train and then get back on the court to play.
"We're in constant contact with Basketball Australia to give updates on our players, to talk through scheduling and to discuss how the other clubs are going.
"There's a fair bit of work going on behind the scenes at the moment."
The earliest affected Bendigo Spirit players will start to come out of their seven-day isolation period from Thursday this week.
"Each player will be individually assessed by the doctor to make sure they're okay to resume training,'' Bice said.
"From there it will be a case of getting the players ready for games.
"I feel for the players because of the uncertainty they're going through."
The Spirit have a 1-3 record through four games and sit in sixth place on the WNBL ladder.
Meanwhile, Bice said BSL was still planning to host the Bendigo Junior Classic basketball tournament later this month.
The annual event attracts thousands of people to Bendigo.
"We're monitoring that situation as we go,'' Bice said.
"Like most things at the moment, things can change on a daily basis.
"As it stands, the Bendigo Junior Classic will go ahead."
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can access our trusted content:
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.