A BENDIGO man allegedly threw a jerry can onto the roof of his parents' house after threatening to burn down the property, a court has heard.
The 35-year-old man last week appeared in the Bendigo Magistrates' Court for a bail application after he was charged with offences including making threats to kill and making threats to inflict serious injury.
The court heard a family violence safety notice was issued on November 19 this year, with the man's father listed as the protected person.
Read more court: Self-medicated Bendigo man arrested after calling the police
Under the order, the 35-year-old was not allowed to contact his father or commit any family violence. There was also a condition that the man was not allowed to contact witnesses for the prosecution.
Police alleged the man's mother was a prosecution witness.
The court heard soon after the order was served to the man, the protected person received 13 calls from a no-caller ID number while the woman received 15 calls.
The next day, the man allegedly called his parents again and threatened to "smash" the house.
Police alleged the 35-year-old called his mother and father a further 12 times that day, before calling them dozens of more times between November 21 and November 26.
The father then allegedly received two emails from the accused with lines like "I'm coming for you", "you should be petrified", and "I've got the rest of my life to get you".
On November 27, police alleged the man sent a further two emails, saying "time is going to make the eventual encounter more and more ruthless".
The accused's parents moved out of their home in fear so police went to the property later that day to try and find the accused.
The court heard the house was damaged and a jerry can was left on the roof of the property.
The accused was arrested at his bail address on November 27. He made some admissions during his record of police interview.
Defence lawyer Louise Conwell said it was possible that some of the charges could resolve and the man would plead guilty.
But Ms Conwell said there were still legal arguments around the classification of the man's mother as a prosecution witness.
The defence lawyer said the man had been able to successfully complete parole after serving a jail term last year, but he relapsed back into drug use.
Ms Conwell submitted that the man should be assessed for the Court Integrated Services Program.
The bail application was adjourned to later this week to allow for the assessment to take place. The man was remanded in custody.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can access our trusted content:
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.