A MAN who performed a burnout on his ex-partner's front lawn after terrorising her and her children has been given a chance to avoid a further jail term.
The 39-year-old man appeared in the Bendigo Magistrates' Court on Tuesday where he pleaded guilty to charges including persistently breaching a family violence intervention order.
The court heard a number of intervention orders were issued last year, with the man's former partner and her two children listed as the protected persons.
On September 2, the woman was at home with the children when the man called her about 20 times.
About 8.45pm, the man called her again, saying he was coming to her house. She told him not to but he ignored her.
The man arrived at the property and yelled to be let inside, but she ignored him. He walked to the back of the property where he banged on the windows and yelled out to the woman.
The court heard the children were crying as the man continued to yell abuse to his ex-partner.
He eventually walked back to his car but he performed a burnout on the woman's front lawn before speeding off.
Police arrested the man on September 23 but released him on bail. A short time later, he breached the intervention order again by sending her a number of Snapchat messages.
The court heard between October 5 and November 9, the man also called and texted the woman 221 times.
The woman responded a few times because she was fearful of what would happen if she did not respond.
The man was arrested and remanded in custody on November 10. He provided a mostly no-comment interview to police.
Read more court: Offender jailed for random violent assault
Defence lawyer Luke Docherty told the court the man was on a community corrections order at the time of the offending.
Mr Docherty said the 39-year-old had been engaging well with the treatment and services, although he continues to breach the invention orders.
The defence lawyer said the man's prior criminal history was limited but relevant. He said it all started two years ago when his long-term relationship broke down.
Mr Docherty said the man had already served 27 days of pre-sentence detention under difficult COVID-19 conditions.
Magistrate Russell Kelly said the "violent and abusive" offending was family violence of the "highest order".
"She must be well and truly sick of you," Mr Kelly said. "You treat her as if she's worthless."
The magistrate said while he could impose a lengthy prison term, he would instead give the man a chance to comply with a corrections order.
Mr Kelly adjourned sentencing for the criminal charges to March this year. The man was bailed ahead of his next court date.
The man's correction order was varied to recommence from Tuesday and last 12 months.
"I'm setting you up for a catastrophic fail," Mr Kelly said. "If you were to come back before me, you will be going back to jail for months. The ball is in your court."
If you or someone you know is experiencing family violence, the Centre for Non-Violence is available on 1800 884 292. Safe Steps is a 24-hour statewide crisis line, available on 1800 015 188.
If you or someone else is in danger, call 000.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can access our trusted content:
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.