A MAN accused of being involved in an aggravated carjacking has been refused bail for a second time.
Christopher Llewellyn, 32, made the application in the Bendigo Magistrates' Court on Thursday after he was charged with offences including aggravated carjacking and unlawful imprisonment.
But Magistrate Russell Kelly refused the application, saying Mr Llewellyn was still an unacceptable risk of reoffending and intimidating witnesses.
The court heard on the evening of March 1, a man and woman were driving a Toyota Hilux along Baringhup Road in Carisbrook.
Mr Llewellyn was standing on the side of the road next to a silver Holden wagon when he allegedly flagged down the victim.
The 32-year-old's co-accused, Aaron Burzacott, remained in the wagon.
The victim pulled over behind the wagon on the direction of his female passenger. Police alleged Mr Llewellyn took the man's keys out of the ignition, preventing him from leaving.
Mr Burzacott then allegedly got out of the wagon and directed a sawn-off shotgun at the victim.
The court heard the man panicked and tried to run away, but Mr Burzacott allegedly chased after him and threatened to shoot him if he kept running.
The victim walked back to the car and Mr Burzacott allegedly told the man he would kill him if he grabbed his mobile out of his pocket.
The court heard the man told Mr Burzacott the phone was in the car.
Mr Llewellyn allegedly grabbed the phone from the vehicle and ordered the victim to unlock the device and transfer him money from his bank account.
Police alleged Mr Burzacott stood behind the victim with the shotgun while the man showed Mr Llewellyn that he had no money in his account.
Mr Burzacott allegedly demanded the victim show him his driver's licence.
Police alleged the two men threatened to throw the victim into the boot of the car and drive four hours away so he could not tell anyone what happened.
Read more court: Bendigo man accused of family violence incident applies for bail
The court heard the victim panicked and ran away from the group and into an open paddock.
Mr Burzacott and Mr Llewellyn allegedly drove off in the Holden wagon and the stolen Toyota Hilux.
The Hilux was found in bushland in Huntly, the court heard. Police were yet to recover a shotgun.
Defence counsel Elly Hayes-Childs told the court Mr Llewellyn, who was contesting the charges, had already been in custody for 262 days after being denied bail in April.
Ms Hayes-Childs said there could still be a significant delay before the case made it to trial in the County Court.
The defence counsel said there was a bed available for Mr Llewellyn at The Cottage in Shepparton, a residential drug rehabilitation facility.
She said the program and stringent bail conditions could help reduce any unacceptable risk.
Ms Hayes-Childs said the prosecution's case was also not very strong as the credibility of the alleged victim was questionable.
But prosecutor Peter Botros took issue with that submission, saying there was sufficient corroborating evidence.
Mr Botros told the court there was also a genuine concern that Mr Llewellyn would intimidate witnesses or instruct others to do so.
The prosecutor said while The Cottage was a good facility, it was not entirely secure so there was a risk that Mr Llewellyn could abscond and reoffend.
The case was also already scheduled for a committal hearing later this month, Mr Botros said.
Magistrate Russell Kelly said he understood why the defence applied for bail on Thursday, given there was a bed available at The Cottage.
But Mr Kelly said he still needed to take the prosecution's case at its highest.
The magistrate refused the bail application, saying he was not satisfied that an unacceptable risk could be ameliorated.
Mr Llewellyn was remanded in custody. He is due to return to the Bendigo Magistrates' Court later this month.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can access our trusted content:
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.