AFTER coming to terms with the disappointment that the 2021 Bendigo Cup Carnival will again be held behind closed doors, the Bendigo Greyhound Racing Association is excited by the news that the cup series will take centre stage in the Saturday night metropolitan time slot in place of The Meadows due to current curfew in metropolitan Victoria.
As a result of a host of scheduling changes, Greyhound Racing Victoria (GRV) have had to make during October, the cup series will be conducted on two consecutive Saturday nights, October 9 and 16.
Among a raft of changes, the revamped schedule is as follows:
- . Wednesday, October 6 - now a night meeting featuring heats of the Battler's Cup.
- . Saturday, October 9 - a night meeting featuring heats of the Bendigo Cup and Grade 5 Vic Bred Series.
- . Sunday. October 10 - a twilight meeting featuring heats of the Spring Cup and Vic Bred Maiden Series (originally scheduled for Friday, October 8).
- . Wednesday, October 13 - now a night meeting.
- . Saturday, October 16 - a night meeting featuring finals of the Bendigo Cup, Spring Cup, Battler's Cup, Grade 5 Series and Vic Bred Maiden Series as well as the Cup Night Match Race and heats of a mixed 6/7 series.
BGRA manager Troy Harley said the club was planning to capitalise on the schedule changes and showcase the carnival.
"Obviously it is not ideal not having crowds for yet another feature event but the schedule change is a positive for us and we intend to make the most of it with extensive coverage through our social media channels and the Watchdog app, along the lines of what was done for Pink Diamond night," he said.
"October 9 will be a big night for the Lord's Raceway venue with our cup heats being run alongside the big Victoria Cup card at the Bendigo Harness Racing Club.
"It's testament to the regard the two clubs and our respective venues are held in to be able to showcase the best chasers and pacers in training on the same night".
More than $300,000 in stakes will be on offer during the five meeting carnival with some exciting racing assured over the coming weeks at Bendigo.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can access our trusted content: