By September 17, all public aged care workers will need to be vaccinated against COVID-19 to work in Victoria.
Health Minister Martin Foley announced the new condition of employment on Thursday, which will require full-time, part-time and casual residential aged care workers, volunteers engaged by a facility, and students on placement to have received the first dose COVID-19 vaccine as a minimum.
Mr Foley also confirmed that from September 23, freight and healthcare workers entering Victoria using the multiple-entry work permits would need to have at least one dose of the vaccine.
"Evidence of documentation from the digital vaccination certificate will be the preferred method," he said.
"Increasingly (the certificate will) become a tool as vaccination status becomes an important part of the nation's approach to managing the transmission of the virus and getting us back towards a more open and successful community."
Mr Foley used an example of a vaccinated aged care worker at a facility in Gladstone Park, in Melbourne's north-west.
Authorities confirmed on Thursday the worker had tested positive to COVID-19, but no residents or staff members had so far contracted the virus.
About 90 per cent of the centre's aged care residents are fully vaccinated and 100 per cent of the staff have had two doses.
"This continues to be an outbreak disproportionately of the young and unvaccinated and the figures reflect that," he said.
Mr Foley said 317 cases were aged between zero and nine, 337 were aged between 10 and 19, 556 were in their 20s and 365 in their 30s.
He said 87 per cent of the current outbreak were people under 50.
Mr Foley said there were 111 people in hospital, with 32 in intensive care and 19 of those on ventilators.
He said 89 per cent of those in hospital were unvaccinated and the remaining 11 per cent had received one dose.
Mr Foley said no one in hospital with COVID-19 was fully vaccinated.
Acting chief health officer Ben Cowie said the state had now administered 2.7 million doses through its state-run vaccination clinics.
The state sits at 63.2 per cent of eligible Victorians having received their first dose.
Professor Cowie said 81,000 bookings were made through the Health Department's booking system on Wednesday, and there were more than 7000 appointments for the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine available over the next seven days.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can access our trusted content: