Despite ongoing COVID-19 restrictions, the Bendigo Relay for Life committee are still hoping the annual event can go ahead.
Scheduled to take place on August 28, the event raises money for the Cancer Council and recognises and celebrates local cancer survivors, patients and their carers along with honouring and remembering loved ones lost to cancer.
Bendigo Relay for Life chairwoman Teresa Jones said preparations were now underway for the event.
She said it was cancelled at the last minute in 2020 due to the coronavirus pandemic and hoped it wouldn't be the case this year.
"We are very excited for the event and very hopeful that this can go ahead in the coming weeks," Ms Jones said.
"It's extremely important for us to go ahead as we couldn't run it last year, it's important to get the message out there to go out and get tested for cancer related illnesses and for people to keep up with the testing."
A shorter one-day format was already scheduled for this year's event and will now be limited to 300 attendees, many of who have worked hard in raising much needed funds for a disease.
Ms Jones said Bendigo's Relay for Life is one of the most successful relays in Victoria - having raised in excess of $3.6m since 1999 for Cancer Council Victoria.
"Considering what is going on, this is really about getting that verbal awareness out there for getting tested but we welcome all the money raised," she said.
The Opening and Candle Light Ceremony will still be held along with the popular Holiday Raffle.
Other news: Dangerous driver clocked at 194km/h in Rochester
The day will also have entertainment and activities including a concert featuring former Bendigo sisters and nationally acclaimed folk duo Alanna and Alicia Egan, restrictions permitting.
The event will occur on August 28 at the Bendigo Athletics Complex in Flora Hill.
For more information, visit www.relayforlife.org.au or phone 1300 65 65 85
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can access our trusted content: