A MAN accused of assaulting and robbing a victim in Castlemaine has been denied bail for a second time.
Shane Roberts, 33, last week collapsed in the dock during his first bail application at the Bendigo Magistrates' Court.
Mr Roberts appeared healthy on Wednesday as he fronted court via a prison videolink. He is facing charges including robbery and intentionally causing serious injury.
The court heard on July 13, the victim was riding his bike in Castlemaine when Mr Roberts and a woman allegedly pulled up alongside him in a Ford Falcon.
Mr Roberts allegedly yelled abuse at the victim before getting out of the car and throwing a piece of cement at the victim's chest.
Police alleged Mr Roberts then repeatedly punched the victim to the head and neck. The court heard the victim curled up on the ground as the assault continued.
Mr Roberts allegedly demanded the victim's wallet and phone, before rifling through the victim's pockets.
Police alleged he took the victim's mobile and smashed it, before grabbing the victim's wallet and leaving.
The victim returned home and contacted police, before he was taken to hospital for a cut to the head.
Senior Constable Alan Walker told the court Mr Roberts should not be granted bail because he was an unacceptable risk of reoffending and endangering the community.
Defence lawyer Rebecca Healy said those risks could be alleviated through a number of bail conditions.
Read more court: Man fronts court on dangerous driving, aggravated burglary charges
Ms Healy said while Mr Roberts had previously failed to comply with bail and court orders, he had been accepted into the Court Integrated Services Program.
The defence lawyer said Mr Roberts also had a suitable bail address in Strathfieldsaye and his pregnant partner was willing to post a surety to the court.
Ms Healy said Mr Roberts would also comply with various bail conditions, including an exclusion order for Castlemaine.
But Magistrate Daniel Muling said Mr Roberts' prior convictions were particularly concerning and made the risks "very real".
Mr Muling said the violent and unprovoked nature of the alleged assault was also worrying.
The magistrate said Mr Roberts was an unacceptable risk so he should not be released on bail.
Mr Roberts was remanded in custody. He is due to appear in the Castlemaine Magistrates' Court in September.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can access our trusted content: