The state's coronavirus outbreak is "nowhere near over" according to the acting premier, despite no new locally-acquired cases being reported on Friday.
It is the first day of zero new infections since the start of this current outbreak.
The milestone was reached as eased restrictions for regional Victoria took effect.
Acting premier James Merlino said it was a moment for the state to catch its breath, but to remain vigilant.
"To get to zero cases today is a terrific outcome, but it is nowhere near over," he said.
More coronavirus news:
It was a view echoed by the chief health officer, Brett Sutton, who warned many people were still in isolation after being in contact with people who had tested positive to the virus.
"The week ahead probably won't be all zeros," Professor Sutton said.
"We're kind of at the halfway point in many respects."
He urged people to get tested if they were suffering symptoms of the virus, including a cough or runny nose.
Officials were still trying to find out how four "mystery" cases from a household in Reservoir contracted the virus.
Meanwhile, the Queensland premier has taken a shot at the Melbourne couple who arrived while infected with coronavirus, telling them they should never have left home, AAP reports.
Annastacia Palaszczuk says there have been no cases of community transmission so far, and that's very encouraging. But she's also warned Queensland is not yet out of the woods.
"Thankfully today zero new cases. We would have expected to see a couple of community cases from that couple if it was going to be in the community," she told reporters on Friday.
"The next 24 to 48 hours - we'll be monitoring that very closely."
Police are investigating the couple's decision to leave Melbourne during a lockdown and drive through NSW to Queensland.
The couple stayed with the woman's parents in Caloundra and visited sites on the Sunshine Coast before they tested positive. They also stopped at sites in Goondiwindi and Toowoomba.
Two Bendigo people are isolating after visiting a location in NSW where the infected couple stopped.
Sunshine Coast mayor Mark Jamison says the community is outraged by the couple's "foolish" actions.
"People are obviously angry and annoyed that somebody would put the health of this region and others at risk by foolishly taking that trip from Melbourne," he has told the Nine network.
"Clearly it's had an impact on the business community in and around Caloundra, particularly at the exposure sites."
Goondiwindi mayor Lawrence Springborg says there appears to have been a flagrant breach of Covid-19 hotspot protocols, and his community has been put at risk as a result of that.
Chief Health Officer Jeannette Young has expressed some optimism that community transmission might be avoided in Queensland, because the couple were in the late stages of their infections when they entered the state.
Victorian authorities have revealed the couple left the state on June 1, when greater Melbourne was in a snap lockdown to control community transmission.
They were relocating permanently to Queensland so the husband could take up a new job.
Acting Victorian Premier James Merlino has said the couple did not breach any state restrictions by leaving, and moving interstate is allowed during lockdowns.
But Dr Young has said the couple didn't apply for a travel exemption to enter Queensland and it's up to police to investigate whether they came through under any other process.
- with AAP
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can access our trusted content: