CENTRAL Victorian businesses have been "crushed" by the latest lockdown announcements.
As Victoria moves into its fourth coronavirus pandemic lockdown, hospitality venues will resort to takeaway-only options for the next seven days.
Australian Hotels Association Victoria executive board member and Hotel Shamrock Bendigo owner Ray Sharawara said he was disappointed about the lockdown announcement, but the health of the community was the top priority.
"This could affect the viability of some hospitality venues moving forward but most businesses got through the prolonged period of lockdown last year," he said.
"We think a quick, sharp lockdown is the preferable course of action. We hope this can happen quickly; the quicker the better.
"We hope there will be some assistance for the state and federal governments to support businesses, the state government provided assistance during the February snap lockdown."
Under the new lockdown restrictions, hotels and accommodation providers can only stay open to support guests already staying onsite with no new bookings allowed unless for authorised workers.
From an accommodation perspective, Mr Sharawara said the guest who were staying at or had bookings for Hotel Shamrock had cancelled.
"I don't blame them," he said. "Some people were staying here for two days and they've gone already. Others had no other option but to cancel.
"The accommodation industry has been devastated by the pandemic as we rely on Melbourne and international tourism.
"When Melbourne opened up we went back to normal and, in some cases, better than normal.
"But it is more important for our health that we lockdown now."
For Bendigo Motel Association president and Julia Anne-Inn owner Kristyn Slattery hearing of another lockdown was heartbreaking.
"Our phones are ringing hot with cancellations left right and centre, which is expected," she said.
"This is crushing for us.
"It's super important we do what is required to make sure long term effects can happen but it is absolutely devastating and it's so tough."
Ms Slattery said the past lockdown in February had lasting effects on the industry.
She worried about the impact it would have on consumer confidence.
"The February five-day lockdown had a month-long impact on our business as the consumer confidence took a massive hit and it took that long to pick up," she said.
"This feels like this will be harder again to instill that consumer confidence that it is safe to travel.
"We need local support more than ever and we don't have JobKeeper supporting us this time around so the financial hurdles will be that little bit harder as well.
"It does knock consumer confidence and it takes time for people to move around again."
At the Julia Anne-Inn, the upcoming weekend was set to be booked out.
"We were due to be full this weekend like most of the motels in town," Ms Slattery said.
"That doesn't happen again once the lockdown finishes, people will be that little more cautious now when booking."
Venues managed by Bendigo Venues and Events will also close on Thursday following the lockdown announcement.
Performances and events in our venues over the next seven days will be either postponed or cancelled.
"We will provide updated information for specific performances direct to ticket-holders and to our audience via our website and social media channels as soon as possible," a spokesperson said in a statement.
The gotix box office will remain open during the lockdown period for telephone enquiries on 5434 6100 during business hours and at any time via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can access our trusted content:
Have you signed up to the Bendigo Advertiser's daily newsletter and breaking news emails? You can register below and make sure you are up to date with everything that's happening in central Victoria.