A MAN who allegedly knocked out his pregnant partner before threatening to kill her and their unborn child has been denied bail.
The 33-year-old appeared in the Bendigo Magistrates' Court on Monday after he was charged with breaching a family violence safety notice.
The court heard at 2.18am on Saturday, the man and woman had a verbal argument inside their property.
Read more news: Rochester Commonwealth Bank branch closure date set for July
The woman, who was 12 weeks pregnant, was sitting on the bed when the man pushed her off.
When she fell on the floor, the man allegedly bit her leg and head before smashing a dinner plate and glass.
The woman contacted the police and the man was arrested. A family violence safety notice was issued, with the woman listed as the protected person.
Under the order, the man was not allowed to go within five metres of the woman or within 200 metres of her house.
The court heard at 7.30pm that day, the woman returned home to find the man outside of her property.
Police alleged a verbal argument started when the woman questioned why the man was there.
The man allegedly pushed his former partner before punching her to the face and biting her on the nose.
Police alleged the man dragged the woman along the driveway and slammed her into the steel fence until she lost consciousness.
The court heard the man lifted the woman's unresponsive body back inside the property.
Read more court:
The woman regained consciousness and fled to the neighbour's house, where she contacted police.
Officers arrived at the property a short time later to find the man sitting outside the house.
He was arrested and taken to the Bendigo Police Station for questioning.
The court heard he told officers, "I want that kid gone in her stomach, otherwise I'll f****** end her life and that kid's life".
Prosecutor Leading Senior Constable Michael Petrov said there was video footage of the alleged assault.
Leading Senior Constable Petrov told the court the victim was in the process of making a statement to police and the man would be charged with further offences.
The prosecutor said police could not wait to complete the brief of evidence before arresting the man because the woman was in danger.
Defence lawyer Gregory Johnston told the court the police had no evidence about the alleged incident.
Mr Johnston said the prosecution needed to have evidence to keep his client in custody, rather than keep the man in custody so they could find evidence.
The lawyer told the court the man could be released to a stable address in Melbourne's south-east. Mr Johnston said his client was also willing to follow strict bail conditions.
But Magistrate Patrick Southey said the man had been "caught red-handed" breaching the safety notice and making threats to the woman.
Mr Southey said the alleged incident was "alarming" and the man had demonstrated zero respect for court orders.
The magistrate refused the man's bail application, saying he was an unacceptable risk of endangering the woman.
He was remanded in custody and is due to return to court next month.
For support, contact the Centre for Non-Violence on 1800 884 292.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can access our trusted content: