A YOUNG boy who allegedly stole a car in Sunbury and drove it to Bendigo has been released on bail.
The 12-year-old appeared in a Children's Court on Monday after he was charged with theft of a motor vehicle.
The court heard the boy allegedly went to Sunbury on Saturday and stole a Ford Territory that was parked in a suburban driveway.
Police alleged there was also a $10,000 bike in the car, which the teen discarded.
The boy allegedly drove the stolen car from Sunbury to the Bendigo area.
About 10.30pm that night, the boy returned home to his parent's house and was allegedly boasting about his theft.
The court heard the boy's step-father contacted police and brought his son in for questioning.
The boy's defence lawyer told the Children's Court the boy had been diagnosed with ADHD and an intellectual disability.
The lawyer said it had been the boy's first time in custody and that the experience had been "quite scary" for him.
The lawyer told the court the boy's parents were willing to have him back home and would contact police again if their son offended.
The magistrate told the boy he would give him one chance on bail, with several conditions including a curfew and a mobile phone ban.
But the magistrate warned the boy it would only be one chance.
"If you come back before me, I will lock you up for a week," the magistrate said. "No mistakes. No excuses. If you breach bail, I will lock you up."
The boy was released from custody. He is due to return to a Children's Court next week.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can access our trusted content: